Home World News U.S. military’s Pacific Command says no ballistic missile threat to Hawaii

U.S. military’s Pacific Command says no ballistic missile threat to Hawaii

11
0
SHARE

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The U.S. military’s Pacific Command said on Saturday there was no ballistic missile threat to Hawaii after a message was mistakenly sent to Hawaii residents’ mobile phones warning them to seek shelter.

A spokesman for the command said it “detected no ballistic missile threat to Hawaii” and that the message warning had been sent in error.

A spokeswoman for U.S. Representative Tulsi Gabbard said she checked with the state agency that issued the alert and was told it was sent in error.

She then tweeted, “HAWAII – THIS IS A FALSE ALARM. THERE IS NO INCOMING MISSILE TO HAWAII. I HAVE CONFIRMED WITH OFFICIALS THERE IS NO INCOMING MISSILE.”

Gabbard also tweeted the mistaken alert, which said: “EMERGENCY ALERT BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.”

The Hawaii Emergency Management Agency’s Twitter account also said “NO missile threat to Hawaii.”

The incident occurred amid high tensions internationally over North Korea’s development of a ballistic nuclear weapon.

Reporting by Phil Stewart, Richard Cowan and Lesley Wroughton; Editing by Bill Trott

: will be replaced with the original fetched article content
U.S. military’s Pacific Command says no ballistic missile threat to Hawaii:title of the post
2018-01-13 19:12:23:the date when the feed item published
http://feeds.reuters.com/~r/reuters/topNews/~3/XIzcmLEMNiI/u-s-militarys-pacific-command-says-no-ballistic-missile-threat-to-hawaii-idUSKBN1F20U1:will be replaced with the original article source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here